WHY GREEN MONDAY?
Small changes in your diet make a big difference!
Eating more plant-based foods is one of the most effective ways to save water.
- Switching from a hamburger to a veggie burger - just once! - saves as much water as not taking a shower for one entire month.
- Animal products account for more than ¼ of total water use worldwide.
- Rivers and oceans are polluted by manure runoff. Meat producers like Tyson are primarily responsible for the dead zone in the Gulf of Mexico, which grew to over 7,000 square miles (larger than the state of Connecticut) in 2017.
There are over 9 billion land animals raised for food every year in the US, and 31 billion globally. Raising so many animals, and growing the corn and soy to feed them, requires tremendous amounts of land.
- Animal agriculture is the leading cause of Amazon deforestation, which in turn destroys habitat and threatens wild animals with extinction, and exacerbates climate change.
- Producing plant-based protein is efficient; the same amount of land can produce 100g of plant-based protein or 4g of beef protein.
- If everyone around the world ate half as much meat, we would have enough land to feed 9 billion people.
Eating more plant-based foods is one of the single most effective ways to shrink our individual and collective carbon footprints.
- The United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization found that animal agriculture creates more greenhouse gases worldwide than the entire transportation sector - that’s more than all planes, trains, cars, and ships combined!
- A recent study by Oxford University found that cutting meat and dairy products from your diet can reduce your carbon footprint by 73%.
- Another study found that switching from beef and dairy to plant-based foods just one day per week saves more greenhouse gas emissions than eating local food 100% of the time.